Already celebrating its third year, ‘Bike the Night’ takes place on Saturday, September 15th. The event is hosted by HUB Cycling, a non-profit organization whose mandate is to improve cycling conditions in Metro Vancouver. The annual cycling event stretches over 10-km through downtown Vancouver in which the city streets are opened allowing thousands of riders to experience the most iconic roadways after dark.
10-km might seem like a long way if you’re not used to riding a bike! But, it is an easy and fairly flat route. It’s not challenging and it’s not a race: most participants roll along at a leisurely speed. It’s a perfect fun route for novices, young families and people of all ages! Plus children and youth under 16 are free!
Don’t miss out on the awesome pre-party from 6 pm – 8 pm at Concord Pacific Place! Included in the cost of admission to the event, attendees will get:
- Access to the kick-off party where they can enjoy DJ music,
- Tons of awesome giveaway swag from sponsors,
- Free bike tune-ups and decorating,
- Bike registration at the Crime Prevention booth,
- Food trucks,
- A kids zone, and
- A chance to win an awesome grand prize.
Maximize the Merriment
To ensure your safety and enjoyment of the event, the following tips are suggested:
- To avoid the inevitable traffic snarl, ride your bike to the event if you can,
- If you hope to take advantage of the free bike tune-ups, arrive early and join the line-up right away,
- No alcoholic beverages are to be consumed while riding or at event sites,
- Stay hydrated! Bring a refillable water bottle, we will have a water station on site for you to fill up and reduce waste,
- Control your speed (it is not a race!) and ride at a leisurely pace,
- Obey the marshals,
- Be prepared to slow down or stop for congestion, road hazards or to allow transit to cross through major arterials areas,
- Ensure your bike is equipped with at least one white front light and one red back light as well as a back red reflector,
- Use hand signals to indicate that you are stopping or turning,
- Move completely off the road or path if stopping for any reason,
- Do not ride against the flow of people on bikes,
- Maintain adequate distance between yourself and other people on bikes,
- Keep at least one hand on the handlebars at all times,
- Feel free to dress up crazy and cover your bike with lights – you won’t be the only one!
- Go with a group of friends! The more the merrier!
- Last, but not least – Have fun!
Rolling with the Good Times!
Deck out your bike in lights and spread good cycling vibes with thousands of other riders of all ages on this 10 kilometre slow roll. And, for the perfect pre-and-post ‘Bike the Night’ picker-upper, roll by Church’s Chicken for a taste-explosion of the best darn fried chicken in Vancouver. A perfect (start, or) end to this unforgettable event!