What better way to show Mum how much you care than with perfectly seasoned fried chicken? This year, Mother’s Day – the third most popular holiday in Canada after Christmas and Valentine’s Day – falls on May 9th.
How to Make Your Own Crispy Fried Chicken in Five Easy Steps
1. Using local, farm fresh chicken is the key to freshness you can taste. Be sure to cut up the chicken correctly so that all the pieces need more or less the same cooking time. To ensure cooked but moist chicken breasts, cut each one into halves or thirds.
2. Succulent fried chicken must be properly marinated. Whether you use a brine of salt, sugar, and spices dissolved in water, buttermilk, or a brine-buttermilk combination, start the night before. A thorough soak in your marinade ensures the juiciness of your chicken pieces while infusing them with flavor.
3. For big, bold flavors, season generously at each step of your fried chicken preparation. Add salt to prevent blandness; add your signature spice blend to enhance the taste. Hand-bread every piece of chicken with well-seasoned flour dredge for a tasty crunch. Other than salt and black pepper, many spice mixes include smoked paprika, chile powder, garlic powder, cayenne powder, and Sriracha sauce.
4. You do not need a deep fryer to make your own fried chicken, but you do need to use a cooking oil that has a high smoke point, such as canola or peanut oil.
Pour a few inches of oil into a cast iron pan and fry aromatics such as peeled ginger and garlic or bay leaves while the oil warms. (Discard before starting to cook the chicken.)
For the perfect combination of crispy crunch surrounding juicy, but cooked through, chicken, heat the oil to about 335oF. Use a thermometer for best results, or test with a little flick of flour – when it sizzles, the oil is ready for frying.
5. Once each piece of chicken has been fried, place it on a wire rack so that it does not steam up and go soggy while dripping excess oil.
Top Mother’s Day Fried Chicken Tip
If you really want to show your mother how much you love her, avoid all the kitchen mess associated with making your own fried chicken. Rather order her favorite fried chicken, Toronto. Church’s Chicken can be picked up or delivered through Skip the Dishes, Uber Eats, and DoorDash.